Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) Use of English
level: C1 / advanced
What is the CAE Use of English test like?
The test has five sections and takes 60 minutes:
- Part 1 - Multiple-choice cloze
- Part 2 - Open cloze
- Part 3 - Word formation
- Part 4 - Gapped sentences
- Part 5 - Key word transformations
There are 50 questions in the CAE Use of English Test.
It makes up 20% of the entire exam.
How to prepare for the CAE Use of English test
- The Use of English paper tests your knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
- Read as much as possible, and use a dictionary to help you learn new words
- Use a grammar book to help you understand sentence structure
- Read the instructions carefully before you start each section
- Look at the example question at the beginning of each section
- Correct spelling is necessary. Get into the habit of checking the spelling of words
- Read the surrounding context before giving an answer
- Don’t give alternative answers for any questions