Cambridge English: C1 Advanced (CAE) Reading & Use of English
level: C1 / advanced
What is the Cambridge Advanced Reading & Use of English test like?
The test has 8 parts and takes 90 minutes:
- Part 1 - Multiple-choice cloze
- Part 2 - Open cloze
- Part 3 - Word formation
- Part 4 - Key word transformations
- Part 5 - text with multiple-choice questions
- Part 6 - Cross-text multiple matching
- Part 7 - text with paragraphs missing
- Part 8 - Multiple matching
There are 56 questions in the Cambridge Advanced Reading & Use of English test.
It makes up 40% of the entire exam.
How to prepare for the Cambridge Advanced Reading & Use of English test
- This paper tests your knowledge of reading, vocabulary and grammar.
- Read as much as possible, and use a dictionary to help you learn new words
- Use a grammar book to help you understand sentence structure
- Read the instructions carefully before you start each part
- Correct spelling is necessary. Get into the habit of checking the spelling of words
- Read the surrounding context before giving an answer
- Don’t give alternative answers for any questions
- Read widely. The texts used in the reading can be: newspapers, magazines, journals, non-literary books, leaflets, brochures, etc
- Read the instructions carefully before you start
- Read all the text before you answer any questions
- Remember that questions come in the same order as the answers in the text in the multiple-choice part of the paper.