B1 Preliminary Speaking
Time allowed - 12-17 minutes
You will do the speaking test with another candidate. The two of you will meet two examiners. One of the examiners will talk to you, the other does not particpate in the conversations.
There are four parts to the speaking test:
Speaking part 1: short questions and answers between you and the examiner.
Speaking part 2: describe one colour photograph, talking for about 1 minute.
Speaking part 3: make and respond to suggestions, discuss alternatives and negotiate agreement.
Speaking part 4: discuss likes, dislikes, experiences, opinions, habits, etc.
The Speaking section is worth 25% of the total score for the exam.
How to prepare for B1 Preliminary Speaking
- Read this article explaining how to do well in the speaking exam.
- Read the instructions carefully before you start each section.
- Speak as much as you can, with your friends, family and classmates.
- Practise looking at photographs and speaking about them.
- Listen! The more English you listen to the better your will do. Listen to the radio, English language TV, podcasts...